Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Hair, Eye and Skin Color....How Important In Color Analysis?

I still have a copy of Kathryn Kalisz's book entitled, "Understanding Your Color, A Guide to Personal Color Analysis." She published this in 1996, and for those who are serious students of color, her book is highly sought after. 
I often use both this book and "Return To Your Natural Colors" by Christine Scaman as references. 

In Chapter IV, Kathryn has individual in depth explanations as to what entails a seasonal group. Of particular interest are the last paragraphs of each explanation. (e.g, True Summer: "The over-all appearance of a person whose coloring is in harmony with the True Summer tone is cool and soft....skin tone is soft pink, beige or rose beige...hair coloring is ash brown, deep ash blonde or grey. Eye coloring is blue, blue grey or grey blue" pg. 62)

In going through this book, by reading the descriptions, it would not easily be a simple task to find your seasonal category because it is next to impossible to be objective enough with one's appearance. (e.g., Based on this info, Bright Spring would be my closest, but my hair is not "medium to dark brown or salt and pepper grey. (pg. 82)

This blog post from Amelia Butler from True Colour International got me thinking.....and this fairly recent blog post got me thinking even more. 

Could the idea that any season can have any hair, eye or skin color be wrong? Or, is our outer appearance, at first glance, a guidepost?

Within this post, I found my answer. 

"Generally speaking certain physical characteristics (hair/skin/eye colours) can be attributed to each of the 12 tones. For example Dark Winters and Dark Autumns generally have dark hair and eyes, whilst Light Springs and Light Summers generally have lighter hair and eyes by comparison. These generalities make sense in terms of how colour harmony works-the closer the relationship between two or more colours (in terms of hue/value/chroma) the more colour harmony is perceived.   This is not to say that unusual combinations of hair/skin/eye colouring do not exist, they certainly do but are far less common than people imagine. Although useful as a guide, physical descriptors cannot be used alone as an accurate diagnostic tool for PCA."


You will really need to read the entire post in order to get the fullest sense of her answer to this question. In my humble opinion, she knocks it out of the park. 

So....does your hair and eye color matter just as much as your skin tone does when finding your best color space? Yes, it does. The correct palette will enhance all three features of your appearance in concert, rather than just one over the other. 

I hope this post has given you a little bit more food for thought. 

For those of you who are hard core color geeks and wish to expand your knowledge in color theory, I invite you to read 
Amelia's blog.  You will definitely enjoy spending time reading the information she so graciously shares. 



Sincerely,



Tina

1 comment:

  1. I'm mostly with Christine Scaman on this, i.e. I believe any season can have any hair, eye or skin color - I have seen some great examples of this on various seasonal colour sites etc. :) And for example, by hair colour I would always be wrongly placed in Summer group, having kind of dark ash blonde hair... (Ashy in most lights, though neutral may in fact be more correct.) But my skintone is definitely very warm, especially the undertone, and so I'm fairly sure I'm a warm or warm-neutral season, and summer colours tend to zombify me. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.